Sunday 16 May 2021

Getting Ready for 2021

 On the assumption that 'things can only get better' I've been getting ready for 2021.

First the Eleven, I've fitted a Cobra immobiliser as I noticed that my insurance disclosure assumed it had one; it's the same one fitted to the SEIW that has worked well over the last 8 years and was straight forward to fit.  Whilst I had the scuttle off I also fitted the 10.5V regulator to the fuel gauge supply in order to reduce the over reading.  Final thing was a service and off for an MOT, the Eleven's 1st,  passed with no advisories (after I'd tightened up the front disc bolts).  First trip out for the year was trip to meet up with the new WSCC Somerset and Devon Area Organiser; having met up at the Royal Oak in Over Stratton we headed off down the A303 then on the A30 followed by a pint and chat before heading home.

With the Eleven 'on the road' I focused on the SEIW, over the winter I swapped the rear springs for some 160 to 210 lb progressive ones supplied by Spax, fitted a new starter motor find that the starter solenoid connection stub on the old one had become loose - hence the occasional no start issues on the Anglesey trip and replaced the rear brake callipers for Golf Mk4 ones to resolve the hand brake effectiveness issues I'd been living with since being really exposed in the Alps.  Whilst bleeding the brakes I sheared the bleed nipples on both the front callipers so took the opportunity to overhaul them with all new seals, I now own a 7mm tap set!  Last of all was an MOT, again passed with no advisories, and now the wait until next month to start the road tax.

We're currently on a phased exit from COVID 19 lockdown so it's not clear what events will be going ahead this year.  I've pre-booked a couple of Haynes Breakfast Clubs in June and July, they're no longer a turn up on the day event, I assume a combination of the issues they were having on numbers attending and COVID.  The first Dorset Area monthly meeting is planned for 20 May after the pubs are properly open and Colin has tentatively arranged the Devon Run in mid-July.  Dodging between showers Tricia and I have now managed to get out for a couple of blats around Somerset and Dorset largely missing the rain.

Whilst the car was up in the air I noticed a star craze under the rear body by the diffuser so have repaired it but the gelcoat isn't a good match, I've now tried RAL 2003, 2004, 2008 and 2009 and none are a good enough match for a repair on a visible panel so I've ordered some gelcoat direct from Westfield.

Westfield announced that they were no longer going to supply AP Racing brake components so I ordered one of the last master cylinders at the same time as I ordered the gelcoat.  I'm reasonably happy with the current front callipers but the AP MC is supposed to improve the instantaneous feeling as the brakes are applied - we'll see if it's worth the £330....

MSE sent me an email advising that they now have 3 dates at Keevil so I've booked for the end of July with the usual Dorset Area suspects, hopefully some of the Devon & Somerset Area will also come along.  I've changed the Differential oil to EP90 GL5 and so far the slight n/s output shaft oil leak has stopped, my intention is to strip the back of the car over the winter to treat any rust and replace all the fuel hoses with ethanol 10% ready R9 specification.

No comments:

Post a Comment