Sunday 30 August 2015

Frustrating couple of days........e

After the Poole Quay run I noticed that the radiator had sprung a leak and it had gone from a minor top up every week or so to half the expansion tank over a 100 mile run.  I ordered a new radiator from  Coolex complete with a direct fitting Kenlowe fan.  Fitting was straight forward, drain the coolant, disconnect all the hoses and electrical connects then unbolt.  Refitting was the reverse and I also replaced the temperature switch for the fan with a 92 to 86 degree in an attempt to stop the fan running almost continuously.  Refilled the system and rant the car upto temperature and everything worked as advertised.



I decided to tackle an annoying scuttle squeak. After removing the the dash, drilling out the internal panel relays I removed the 4 scuttle plots and expansion tank bolts. I then removed the pedal cover and oil catch tank from the front of the scuttle. With everything disconnect I ran a knife through the silicone sealant and attempted to lift the scuttle. No movement, so out with the pry bars etc and thinks started to move, unfortunately I levered against an area of void in the gel coat and the inevitable crack and chip happened. I completed the removal, removed as much of the silicone as I could and applied anti fret tape.  I then tried to repair the gel coat and couldn't get it to go off so it's now sealed up hoping that without air it will go off. 

I had to refit the scuttle ready for the Devon Run so completed the reverse of removal.  When testing the electrics post refit of the dash I noticed a problem with the offside headlight.  Having dismantled it I found the dipped beam shield was broken so removed it to use as a pattern to make another.  Many hours later I eventually got the new shield in place and working.

All in a full day in the garage, not feeling the best after a curry and beer run the night before started their revenge.  Still need to sort the gel coat but at least it's back on the road for the weekend - oh and the exhaust rattle is back so looks like time for another repack......

James and I have booked a Westfield experience day on the Saturday before I drop him off to Uni so something for the two of us to look forward to and means his first track type day will be in a factory car not ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment