Saturday, 7 December 2013

Upgraditis Strikes Again

Thursday night was Dorset WSCC night with only Colin braving the winter night in his Westfield. Chris' car is half way through an engine transplant replacing the silver top zetec with a blacktop and transferring over all the Raceline/TTV goodies.  Not many have SORN'd and we discussed a blat call up list if there's good weather over the coming weekends.

The WSCC night spurred me into action so when I got home from work on Friday I prep'd the car for engine removal with only the Alternator and fuel connects left to removed before the lift.  The plan is to:

  • Replace the sump gasket to stop the slight oil weep post ARP con rod bolt installation.
  • Fit the TTV light weight fly wheel inc ARP bolts
  • Fit the Radtec Alloy Radiator
  • Fit the Carbon Fibre Exhaust
  • Adjust the ARB to it's softest setting and investigate/replace the bent drop link rose joints
  • Refit front Mintex M1144 disc pads with ceratec grease in an attempt to cut down squeal.

Plus carry out an oils change and full service

I've decided not to fit the LSD yet as if I'm removing all the rear body work I also want to fit a rear ARB and nylon bushes that I've just ordered from Westfield.  Overall I want to drive the car next year, with plenty of track days to really get to know it before spending anymore money on it (possibly wishful thinking!)


James and I went out to the garage and he disconnected the alternator and fuel lines, removed the radiator and checked to make sure everything was ready to remove the engine.  We discussed the clearance from the ARB at the front of the engine and agreed that there was enough (wrong!).  After a quick clean up we setup the engine hoist and connected the leveller.  The lift initially went well with the engine and gearbox separating but then the flywheel and clutch were bigger than the gap between the front of the engine and ARB so the ARB had to be removed with the engine suspended on the hoist.  Once the ARB was out the engine lift was completed and the engine set down on a work table.

With the engine out we decided to replace the flywheel first.  James removed the 6 bolts holding on the clutch and after a slight tussle with a sticking dowel the flywheel was exposed.  The first attempt to remove the flywheel bolts failed as we could get enough leverage between the front main crankshaft and the flywheel bolt.  After a quick rethink James placed an allen key through one of the gearbox mounting bolt holes and braced a large flat bladed screwdriver in the starter motor drive ring and it worked very well.







Disaster - original clutch was too big for the new flywheel.  After an exchange of texts with Malcolm I had two options - 1) swap the flywheel 2) buy a pinto 220mm clutch.  unfortunately ECP didn't have a pinto clutch in stock but will have one on Monday so a tidy up of the garage and the end of work for the weekend. 
 

No comments:

Post a comment